Rain: A Time for Reflection

The rain this weekend was so welcome. Being perpetually in a drought, rain is always something wonderful in California. The rain makes me contemplative. It gives me time to get quiet, something I don’t make much time for in my life. Recently a friend posted about mindfulness and the fact that our lives are so filled with motion and noise. She wrote about the idea that we are always rushing off to some next activity or place. I often feel like racing throughout the day with no end to the marathon.

This weekend was a welcome break from all the activity. I finished I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb, a beautiful and tragic story about love, mental illness and loss. I did laundry from start to finish and all the clothes actually ended up in drawers, rather than in the dryer from which I take one piece of clothing out to wear as needed. I called my cousin and we talked for an hour.

The rain helped bring some mindfulness to my life. I felt comforted and insulated at home. This weekend I focused on the little things. I was thankful for the home I am so blessed to live in and the food I am able to cook from the bounty in our fridge.

I hope there are a few more rainy days in San Diego’s future. It helps me to be present, to be in the moment.

3 Comments

1. I love days like this. As a teacher, life really does feel like a marathon sometimes! I hope you have more mindful days.

2. I love the rain, too! I feel like it gives me a better excuse not to go outside and savor our usual Northern California sun. It keep my kids in, and somehow they are more quiet when it is raining. Maybe they are more reflective too, listening to the rain on the roof. Your slice reminded me of just how much I need these days. I also read Wally Lamb’s book, although a long time ago, and I will never forget it. It is an indelible story. Did you read She’s Come Undone? Another memorable, rainy day book.
    Jenn W.

• msikking

March 2, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Jen,
      I haven’t read that book but I hear it is wonderful. I agree. There is so much noise in life that rain can quiet the distractions.