One of my favorite books is called A Girl Named Zippy
The author has one title entitled: “A Short List of Things My Father Lost at Gambling”. A second entry is called “A Short List of Things My Father Won at Gambling”. The lists are so funny and serve to show that her father was a huge gambler. I hope my lists show the kind of day I had and the mood I was in.
A Short List of Things That Made Me Smile Today:
1. A text message at 6:30 a.m. I received a unexpected message from a friend that I have not heard from in such a long time. That is a great way to start the week.
2. Vanilla Mocha. I treated myself on a Monday. One word: delicious.
3. Sushi for dinner. No prep work. Check. No clean up. Check. Loads of ginger. Check.
4. Twitter. Writing a tweet under 150 characters can be a challenge. Challenge accepted and completed.
5. Daylight savings. It was light out for so long today!
An Even Shorter List of Things That Made Me Want To Cry Today:
1. School Lunches. Today we learned that only about $1.00 of school lunch money goes to making school lunches. How can schools serve a healthy meal if they have so little to spend?
2. Spring forward. No thank you time change. I would like to sleep longer, thank you very much. Plus, I didn’t realize how late it was and I worked past 6 p.m.
3. A huge rat. It ran through the parking lot and looked as though it could win in a fight against the neighbor’s cat. It was that big. I hope he stays in the bushes far away from my front door.
March 11, 2014 at 4:29 am
I love how you used a text you love to model your writing for the day! I’m going to have to check out that book — but you can keep the rat to yourself. 😉
March 11, 2014 at 7:17 am
I really like this writing idea and that you took it from a text. I found myself smiling (no prep nor cleanup for dinner) and completely appalled (really,only $1.00??) in a very short span. Glad the smile list was longer than the sad list, although that rat might count double or triple for sadness.
March 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm
OK Ms. Sikking – I’m intrigued and want to get my hands on a copy of this book. Thanks for the suggestion; I’ll request it from the Spearfish library today. We have a 2 hour late start because of snow. Your kids are doing fabulously with the blogs….I see some real writing talent!
March 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm
I love this idea! I’ve not heard of the books, but I’m definitely going to look for them now. More importantly, I’m going to have my high schoolers do two lists. Such a cool reflective writing activity. Thank you!
March 11, 2014 at 2:16 pm
I love your lists! I haven’t done a post like this in a very long time. Thanks for the inspiration!
I, too, worked later than I’d planned because I was fooled by the light. It was nice to have so much daylight, though, wasn’t it?
March 11, 2014 at 5:53 pm
I like how you put it in the form of a list.
March 11, 2014 at 10:59 am
I liked that you made the lists of Shorter Lists that make you Cry, and the Short List that made me Smile Today.
March 11, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Wow I never really knew a rat could be that big
March 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm
I like how you saw something in a book and compared it to your life or a text to self connection.