Thoughts on Growing Up

Today I was asked to write about a time when I was launched into adulthood. I had a hard time thinking about when I decided to grow up. Upon reflection I thought about my life experiences and how I was always the youngest kid and I was coddled. When I was old enough to work, I chose to teach summer camp with the Girl Scouts and babysit. Then I chose to teach, in part because I thought it would be a joy to surround myself with children who had a spark for life’s moments, both big and small.

I never feel like a grown up when I teach. Sixth graders are this funny age in which they sometimes act like adults, then like kindergartens and then like emotional teens. Often I feel like they do, wearing my emotions on my sleeve spewing out my excitement or feelings of frustrations that bubble up to the surface, often when things don’t go my way.

I definitely don’t feel like an adult when I get to talk excitedly about the Divergent movie or about a new pop song on the radio. I feel joyful, excited, engaged. Isn’t that what we want from all students? Isn’t that what we hope that they never loose? I hope to always be a kid, if only a kid at heart. 

11454297503_e27946e4ff_h

8 Comments

1. Kathy Douglas

March 8, 2014 at 1:03 am

Kind of a Peter Pan viewpoint. I love the idea of always having children’s eyes as we look at the world!

2. What a vulnerable, open post to share! I just had my 48th birthday, and realized that I don’t feel old at all–and it may be because I’ve worked for almost four years now in an elementary setting. I’m glad you feel as engaged as you want your students to be; they learn from example!

3. Some days, I still want to be a kid. And some days, I want a mustache.

4. I want to read Divergent. My mom won’t let me.

5. I am also excited about the Divergent movie! I do not want to grow up either!

6. I’m soo soo sooooo excited for the divergent movie😱

7. nickoprather88beep

March 24, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Good topic and great way to reach out to peopel are age that might have the same thoughts

8. I also want to see the Divergent movie, I like the topic you picked. Also, Nicko you spelled people wrong.