The Lemon Zester

Most nights I cook at home. Since my roommate and I get veggies from a local CSA there is always plenty to eat in the fridge. Cooking tends to relax me and lets me be a bit more creative. Lately I have been trying out new recipes, trying to use up produce that I don’t know what to do with.

For the second day in a row I have used tried to use lemon zest in a recipe. I did not know that lemon zest required a tool other than a grater. Three graters later and a few layers of freshly peeled skin I had given in. The kitchen tools tore a chunk out of my finger right across the knuckle of my thumb, for the second day in a row. I gave in to the kitchen gods, threw up my hands and finished the meal sans lemon zest. I’ve decided that zest isn’t worth it for me.

I’m not one for useless kitchen tools but this is getting ridiculous! I might need to buy a zester before I do any more damage to my hands. I know kitchens are dangerous places but hopefully I won’t get scarred in the process of making dinner.

11454297503_e27946e4ff_h

5 Comments

1. Oh, the joys of cooking! I bought a zester years ago and don’t use it often — but oh, am I glad I have it! Definitely comes in handy with those silly lemons. 🙂

2. Slice of life, literally! Great idea to model how an entry can be the slowed-down daily chores of one’s small moments of routine, like during cooking Zen.

3. I have to say, the thought of your grated skin mixed with the lemon zest in your food is a bit unappetizing. I’d definitely splurge on the zester!

4. I like how didn’t have much to write about so you wrote about when you were making dinner and made it exciting 😀
    -Miguel

5. nickoprather88beep

March 24, 2014 at 4:25 pm

You did a good gob at setting the seene in the start. And sounds painfull.